Saturday 2 January 2016

Jus Primae Noctis

This is a short tale on the "jus primae noctis",  the (complrtely fictional) right of nobles to have the "first night" of a new bride, before the groom.

As you will see, there is more than one way to exercise a right... and, whose right is that?




I always thought that it was barbaric... our duke is the only noble, in a hundred miles, that still requires newly wed women to spend their first night of marriage with him.

I used to despise the idea, I really did.

Then, my fiancĂ© died in a stupid work accident, and the man that I had to fall back on... has a very traditional  family, that values the damn virginity thing.

I am, of course, no virgin at all... my position in their pecking order is bound to be very low.

But what can I do? I cam't get my hymen to grow back, now, can I?

I was surprised, when our lord communicated us that he expected to have my company for my first night of marriage. If I knew it I'd have gone in a convent, the hell with men and their idiotic ideas.

The evening of my narriage day, I was led to the lord's house, and so here I am.

Dining with our Duke, and the Duchess.

-"Come on, dear, this lamb is delicious" - says the duchess.

Her presence disconcerts me... she must know why I am here.

_"I think that she didn't expect to see you, my dear. You know, Jus Primae Noctis, the feudal lord takes what he wants from the poor peasant girl. She thought she was going to be prsented to me naked, bound and with an apple stuffed in her mouth, for my ducal spike to skewer her."

-"In a way, my lord, indeed I was."

-"Oh, dear girl, you got it so wrong" - the voice of tyhe duchess is mellifluous, slightly amused.

-"Am I wrong, my Lady?"

-"My husband is not going to force himself upon you, dear. I can promise you that much."

-"That is... why not?"

-"Because I am not a damn bastard!"

The voice of the Duke booms, irritated.

-"So, if I want, I can go home, right now?"

-"Oh, no, my dear, that can't do. You are here to spend the night"  - her Ladyship voice is velvetry, but a hint of steel gleams below it -"would you mind, looking in the tray at your right?"

I expected food, instead, lifting the tray's cover, I find a glass thing shaped like a big man's cock.

-"You may decide not to have intercourse, but I cannot allow you to exit this house, tomorrow, with your virginity intact".

-"I beg your pardon, my Lady?"

-"You can have sex with the two of us" - the Duchess hand reaches that of the Duke and holds it for a second, reassuring - "and I can guarantee you that it will be an experience to remember" - the duke almost growls, at the idea. He really don't care for this?
-"Or you can use that to take away your virginity, while I witness it; It's your choice".

My confusion is complete, now. What the hell is this about?

The Duke raises an eyebrow, his irritation subsided, his voice that of an old teacher, when he speaks again '"Do you know why are you here, child?" - Of course I don't, if it is not just for his lust - "there are two ways we chose to ask a new bride to give us her first marriage night, when the marriage is announced to us" - he pauses to sip a bit of wine - "one, we both toss a coin, me and my lady, and if both are heads, she is invited to join us for a night".

-"You toss coins, sir?"

-"I am not my father, child... I don't have the guts to shag every ugly daughter of every unwashed tosser in my lands, just for the sake of having a go with the few beautiful ones, and singling out the nice ones would be an injustice..." - another pause -"... and an incentive for them to disregard personal hygiene, in the days leading up to the marriage..." - a small laugh from the Duchess interrupts him with a smile -"... so, yes, two coins, one possibility in four. I wouldn't care to stress my poor loins more than that."

-"So, I was just - lucky?"

-"Two ways, lass. The other, is the woman asks it to us" - why the tone of the Duke hints so much that this is my case? I didn't ask anything.

- "The woman, or a member of her family that doesn't believe in her ability to fake convincingly to have a virginity that she has already lost" - the voice of the Duchess is soothing, I feel I am not the first recipient of this discourse.

-"What?"

-"Your mother is a very practical woman, my dear. And, it worked for her, after all, before you were born"

 I am astounded, I didn't suspect any of this. Any.

-"Which is a very good reason why you should pick the glass thing, lass" - he eats some more lamb, leaving me the time to reflect on it, than he realizes that my mind is in a blank

-"I would rather avoid you giving birth to your half-sister" - he says, finally.

-"She has a right to know actual lovemaking, if she so chose, before being chained to a pork farmer for the rest of her life!" - comments drily the Duchess.

-"She could be my daughter!"

-"She has a right, my dear. Noblesse do Oblige - and I could be your sister... it didn't stop you"

-"Don't remind me that. Thank God, times are changing. Our son will not have to put up with this, this... shit!"

The Duchess come over to me, smiling in a wilynway -"So, wat do you chose? A piece of glass, or me?"

Behind her, I see the Duke raise his eyes to the sky and sigh.

I didn't expect this to play out this way... then, her ladyship leans down and kisses me on my mouth.

I am surprised, I don't put up any resistance - it is one hell of a kiss.

At the other end of the table, the Duke growls again.

To hell with glass.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to point me out conceptual, orthographical, grammatical, syntactical or usage's errors, as well as anything else